The winners for the 2019 Sunburst Awards for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic have been announced:
- WINNER: Plum Rains, Andromeda Romano-Lax (Penguin Random House Canada)
- Sodom Road Exit, Amber Dawn (Arsenal Pulp)
- Armed in Her Fashion, Kate Heartfield (ChiZine)
- Annex, Rich Larson (Orbit)
- Trickster Drift, Eden Robinson (Penguin Random House Canada)
Young Adult Fiction
- WINNER: Tess of the Road, Rachel Hartman (Penguin Random House Canada)
- Spellslinger, Sebastian de Castell (Orbit)
- Black Chuck, Regan McDonell (Orca)
- Not Even Bones, Rebecca Schaeffer (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- Feeder, Patrick Weekes (Simon & Schuster Canada)
- WINNER: “The Glow-in-the-Dark Girls”, Senaa Ahmad (Strange Horizons 1/15/18)
- “Domestic Violence”, Madeline Ashby (Future Tense 3/26/18)
- “Candied Sweets, Cornbread, and Black-Eyed Peas”, Malon Edwards (Sword and Sonnet)
- “Meat And Salt And Sparks”, Rich Larson (Tor.com 6/6/18)
- “The Time Traveler’s Husband”, A.C. Wise (Shimmer 11/18)
The awards were announced on October 7, 2019. Winners receive a medallion with the Sunburst logo, and the Adult and Young Adult Sunburst Award receive a cash prize of $1,000. Winners of the Short Story Sunburst Award receive a cash prize of $500. The jurors for the 2019 awards were Greg Bechtel, S.M. Beiko, Janie Chang, David Demchuk, Gemma Files, Susan Forest, Kari Maaren, and Susan Reynolds.
For more information, see the Sunburst Award Society.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.