The African Speculative Fiction Society (ASFS) has announced the 2021 Nommo Awards winners at DisCon III. The awards were given to works “by Africans as defined by the ASFS and Nommo Awards Guidelines.”
- WINNER: The Death of Vivek Oji, Akwaeke Emezi (Riverhead)
- WINNER: “Ife-Iyoku: The Tale of Imadeyunuagbon”, Oghenechovwe Donald Ekpeki (Dominion)
- Guardians: The Awakening, David A. Atta (Makere)
- A Fledgling Abiba, Dilman Dila (Guardbridge)
- Riot Baby, Tochi Onyebuchi (Tordotcom)
- The Silence of the Wilting Skin, Tlotlo Tsamaase (Pink Narcissus)
Best Short Story (Tie)
- WINNER: “Rat and Finch Are Friends”, Innocent Chizaram Ilo (Strange Horizons 3/2/20)
- WINNER: “Behind Our Irises”, Tlotlo Tsamaase (Africanfuturism)
- “The Bend of Water”, Tiah Marie Beautement (Omenana 8/30/20)
- “Corialis”, T.L. Huchu (Fiyah Autumn ’19)
- “The Goatkeeper’s Harvest”, Tobi Ogundiran (The Dark 9/20)
Best Graphic Novel
- WINNER: MoonGirls, Nana Akosua Hanson & AnimaxFYB (Drama Queens)
- New Men, Murewa Ayodele & Dotun Akande (Action Lab – Danger Zone)
- Titan, Mazuba Chimbeza (Black Hut)
- Meanwhile…, Qintu Collab (MaThoko’s)
- Alex, Anna Mbale & Mwiche Songolo (Black Hut)
- Black Sheep, Mwiche Songolo (Black Hut)
The Master of Ceremonies was Sheree Renée Thomas. The presenters were Iquo DianaAbasi, Suyi Davies Okungbowa, and Tochi Onyebuchi. For the list of winners, and more information about the award, see the ASFS website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.
©Locus Magazine. Copyrighted material may not be republished without permission of LSFF.