The selections for the 2019 Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) Reading List, Listen List, and Notable Books List were announced during the American Library Association’s Midwinter Meeting, held January 25-29, 2019 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle WA.
The annual best-of reading list is selected by the Reading List Council. Shortlisted honor titles were also announced. Titles of genre interest include:
- WINNER: The Calculating Stars, Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor)
- Stars Uncharted, S.K. Dunstall (Ace)
- An Ocean of Minutes, Thea Lim (Touchstone)
- Noumenon Infinity, Marina J. Lostetter (Harper Voyager)
- The Wrong Stars, Tim Pratt (Angry Robot)
- WINNER: Foundryside, Robert Jackson Bennett (Crown)
- The Hazel Wood, Melissa Albert (Flatiron)
- The City of Brass, S.A. Chakraborty (Harper Voyager)
- The Poppy War, R.F. Kuang (Harper Voyager)
- Trail of Lightning, Rebecca Roanhorse (Saga)
- WINNER: The Silent Companions, Laura Purcell (Penguin)
- Bad Man, Dathan Auerbach (Doubleday)
- Awakened, James S. Murray & Darren Wearmouth (Harper Voyager)
- Melmoth, Sarah Perry (Custom House)
- The Cabin at the End of the World, Paul Tremblay (Morrow)
Winners were selected by the Reading List Council consisting of Nanette Donohue, Michele Drovdahl, Halle Eisenman, Matthew Galloway, Carol Gladstein, Andrea Gough, Edward Kownslar, Tammy Ryan (chair), Janet Schneider, and Estella Terrazas. For a full list of winners and honor titles, see the RUSA website.
The Listen List Council of the Collection Development and Evaluation Section (CODES) selected 12 titles for outstanding audiobook narration. Selections of genre interest include:
- The Silence of the Girls, Pat Barker, read by Kristin Atherton & Michael Fox (Random House Audio)
- An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, Hank Green, read by Kristen Sieh & Hank Green (Penguin Audio)
- The House of Broken Angels, Luis Alberto Urrea, read by the author (Hachette Audio)
The Listen List was selected by a jury consisting of Ron Block, Sarah Hashimoto, Sarah Hill, Danise Hoover (chair), Lauren Kage, Lucy M. Lockley, Dodie Ownes, and Christa Van Herreweghe. For the complete list of selected titles, see the RUSA website.
Notable Books List
The Notable Books List is an annual best-of list of books published in the US. Selections of genre interest include:
- Friday Black, Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah (Mariner)
- Washington Black, Esi Edugyan (Knopf)
- The Overstory, Richard Powers (Norton)
- The House of Broken Angels, Luis Alberto Urrea (Little, Brown)
Winners were selected by the Notable Books Council consisting of Hilary Albert, Kristen Allen-Vogel (chair), Gloria A. Drake, Lizzie Gall (vice chair), William Kelly, Lynn Lobash, Jeanessa Smith, Christine Wells, Michelle Young, Hana Zittel, and Mary Callaghan Zunt. For a complete list of winners, see the RUSA website.
The RUSA is a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.