The winners of the Sunburst Awards for Canadian Literature of the Fantastic were announced:
- Under Heaven, Guy Gavriel Kay (Penguin Canada)
- Watch, Robert J. Sawyer (Penguin Canada)
- Chimerascope, Douglas Smith (ChiZine)
- A Taint in the Blood, S.M. Stirling (New American Library)
- Stealing Home, Hayden Trenholm (Bundoran)
- Bookweirder, Paul Glennon (Doubleday Canada)
- Shapeshifter, Holly Bennett (Orca)
- Plain Kate, Erin Bow (Scholastic)
- The Painted Boy, Charles De Lint (Penguin Young Reader Group)
- Dust City, Robert Paul Weston (Penguin Canada)
The annual Sunburst Award for Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is a juried award. It is based on excellence of writing and awarded to a Canadian writer who has published a speculative fiction novel or book-length collection any time during the previous calendar year. Named after the novel by Phyllis Gotlieb (1926-2009), one of the first published authors of contemporary Canadian speculative fiction, the award consists of a cash prize of $1,000 and a hand-crafted medallion which incorporates a “Sunburst” logo, designed by Marcel Gagné.
2011 jurors were Kate Freiman, Mark Leslie, Christopher Roden, and Alison Sinclair. The 2012 Award jurors will be Douglas Barbour, Zsuzsi Gartner, Daniel Justice, Lorna Toolis and Halli Villegas. For more information about previous awards, eligibility, and the selection process, please visit the Sunburst Award Society.