The selections for the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) 2018 Reading List, Listen List, and Notable Books List were announced on February 11, 2018 during the American Library Association’s Midwinter Meeting at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver CO.
The annual best-of reading list is selected by the Reading List Council. Shortlisted honor titles were also announced. Titles of genre interest include:
- Winner: The Collapsing Empire, John Scalzi (Tor)
- The Power, Naomi Alderman (Little, Brown)
- A Closed and Common Orbit, Becky Chambers (Harper Voyager)
- Paradox Bound, Peter Clines (Crown)
- An Oath of Dogs, Wendy N. Wagner (Angry Robot)
- Winner: Down Among the Sticks and Bones, Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
- Winter Tide, Ruthanna Emrys (Tor.com Publishing)
- Passing Strange, Ellen Klages (Tor.com Publishing)
- The Witches of New York, Ami McKay (Harper Perennial)
- A Gathering of Ravens, Scott Oden (Thomas Dunne)
- Winner: Kill Creek, Scott Thomas (Inkshares)
- Little Heaven, Nick Cutter (Gallery)
- In the Valley of the Sun, Andy Davidson (Skyhorse)
- A God in the Shed, by J-F Dubeau (Inkshares)
- Ararat, Christopher Golden (St. Martin’s)
- The Sumage Solution, G.L. Carriger (self-published)
Winners were selected by the Reading List Council consisting of Meagan Day, Nanette Donohue (chair), Michele Drovdahl, Matthew Galloway, Edward Kownslar, Daryl A. Maxwell, Tammy Ryan, Lisa Schimmer, Estella Terrazas, Barry Trott, and Joy Walk. For a full list of winners and honor titles, see the RUSA website.
The Listen List Council of the Collection Development and Evaluation Section (CODES) selected 12 titles for outstanding audiobook narration. Selections of genre interest include:
- Lincoln in the Bardo, George Saunders, read by a full cast (Books on Tape)
- Sourdough, Robin Sloan, read by Therese Plummer (Macmillan Audio)
The Listen List was selected by a jury consisting of Mary Burkey (chair), Sarah Hashimoto, Pam Spencer Holley, Lauren Kage, Lucy M. Lockley, Dodie Ownes, and Christa Van Herreweghe. For the complete list of selected titles, see the RUSA website.
Notable Books List
The Notable Books List is an annual best-of list of books published in the US. Selections of genre interest include:
- American War, Omar El Akkad (Knopf)
- Exit West, Mohsin Hamid (Riverhead)
- Solar Bones, Mike McCormack (Soho)
- Lincoln in the Bardo, George Saunders (Random House)
- Sing, Unburied, Sing, Jesmyn Ward (Scribner)
Winners were selected by the Notable Books Council consisting of Hilary Albert, Kristen Allen-Vogel, Rochelle Ballard, Craig Clark (chair), Lizzie Gall, Vicki L. Gregory, Marlene Harris, William Kelly, Lynn Lobash, Christine Wells, Louisa Whitfield-Smith, and Mary Callaghan Zunt. For a complete list of winners, see the RUSA website.
The RUSA is a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.