The winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award for best science fiction novel published in 2016 has been announced:
- The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead (Fleet)
- A Closed and Common Orbit, Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton)
- Ninefox Gambit, Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris)
- After Atlas, Emma Newman (Roc)
- Occupy Me, Tricia Sullivan (Gollancz)
- Central Station, Lavie Tidhar (PS Publishing)
This year’s judges were Una McCormack and Shana Worthen for the British Science Fiction Association, Paul March-Russell and Andrew McKie for the Science Fiction Foundation, and Charles Christian for SCI-FI- LONDON. Andrew M. Butler was chair of judges. Tom Hunter was awards director.
Whitehead receives a £2,017 prize and a commemorative engraved bookend. The winning title was announced July 27, 2017 at an awards ceremony held at Foyles Bookshop in London, UK.