The editors of The New York Times Book Review selected their ten best books of the year, including The Love Songs of W.E.B Du Bois by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers (HarperCollins) and How Beautiful We Were by Imbolo Mbue (Random House).
They also listed 100 Notable Books of 2020, including the following titles of genre interest:
- Appleseed, Matt Bell (Custom House)
- Bewilderment, Richard Powers (Norton)
- Build Your House Around My Body, Violet Kupersmith (Random House)
- A Calling for Charlie Barnes, Joshua Ferris (Little, Brown)
- Chronicles From the Land of the Happiest People on Earth, Wole Soyinka (Pantheon)
- Cloud Cuckoo Land, Anthony Doerr (Scribner)
- Detransition, Baby, Torrey Peters (One World)
- Harlem Shuffle, Colson Whitehead (Doubleday)
- How Beautiful We Were, Imbolo Mbue (Random House)
- Klara and the Sun, Kazuo Ishiguro (Knopf)
- Light Perpetual, Francis Spufford (Scribner)
- The Lincoln Highway, Amor Towles (Viking)
- The Love Songs of W.E.B Du Bois, Honorée Fanonne Jeffers (HarperCollins)
- The Magician, Colm Tóibín (Scribner)
- The Morning Star, Karl Ove Knausgaard (Penguin)
- My Year Abroad, Chang-rae Lee (Riverhead)
- One Last Stop, Casey McQuiston (St. Martin’s Griffin)
- Our Country Friends, Gary Shteyngart (Random House)
- The Sentence, Louise Erdrich (Harper)
- Something New Under the Sun, Alexandra Kleeman (Hogarth)
- Strange Beasts of China, Yan Ge (Melville House)
- The Sun Collective, Charles Baxter (Pantheon)
- Velvet Was the Night, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey)
- What Strange Paradise, Omar El Akkad (Knopf)
For more information, see The New York Times website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.
©Locus Magazine. Copyrighted material may not be republished without permission of LSFF.