Finalists for the 2020 Geffen Awards for best science fiction and fantasy published in Hebrew have been announced by the Israeli Society for Science Fiction and Fantasy.
Best Translated Fantasy Book
- Fire & Blood, George R.R. Martin, translated by Zafrir Grosman (Opus)
- Spinning Silver, Naomi Novick, translated by Yael Achmon (Tamir)
- The Rot / The Might, Siri Pettersen, translated by Yonatan Bar (Sial)
- Making Money, Terry Pratchett, translated by Vered Tochterman (Opus)
- Oathbringer, Brandon Sanderson, translated by Zafrir Grosman (Opus)
- Beren and Lúthien, J.R.R. Tolkein, translated by Emmanuel Lotem (Keter)
Best Translated YA Book
- The Patchwork Girl of Oz, L. Frank Baum, translated by Gili Bar-Hillel Semo (Utz)
- The Dragon With a Chocolate Heart, Stephanie Burgis, translated by Noa Shavit (Utz)
- Cuckoo Song, Frances Hardinge, translated by Vered Tochterman (Utz)
- Power of Three, Diana Wynne Jones, translated by Yael Inbar (Utz)
- The Tyrant’s Tomb, Rick Riordan, translated by Yael Achmon (Kinneret Zmorah-Dvir)
Best Original Hebrew Book
- End of the World, Tzipor Frumkin (Yediyot & Tal-Mai)
- Satisfying The Dragon, Masha Zur Glozman (Yediyot)
- Free, Chaim Navon (Yediyot)
- Red Eyes, Magi Otsri (Kinneret Zmorah-Dvir)
- King of Jerusalem, Nir Yaniv (Yaniv Books)
- Are You Where You Are Supposed to Be, Asaf Zippor (Kinneret Zmorah-Dvir)
Best Original Hebrew Short Story
- “The Masters of Artemis“, Nimrod Aizenberg (Once Upon A Future 2019)
- “Blue Iceberg Beer“, Rotem Baruchin, (Once Upon A Future 2019)
- “The Land Beyond the Wardrobe“, Yael Furman (Meorot Convention Story Project)
- “Balloons“, Roni Gelbfish (Once Upon A Future 2019)
- “Eastern Wind“, Judith Kagan (Once Upon A Future 2019)
- “Evening“, Keren Landsman (Once Upon A Future 2019)
- “Fragments“, Keren Landsman (Meorot Convention Story Project)
Winners will be announced at Icon 2020, to be held October 6-8, 2020 at the Eshkol Pais site in Tel Aviv, Israel.
For more information, see the Geffen Award website.
[via File 770]
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.