Nominees for the Edinburgh International Book Festival’s First Book Award have been announced and include several titles of genre interest:
- Children of Blood and Bone, Tomi Adeyemi (Holt)
- Leila, Prayaag Akbar (Simon & Schuster)
- The House With Chicken Legs, Sophie Anderson (Scholastic)
- Swansong, Kerry Andrew (Jonathan Cape)
- Out of the Blue, Sophie Cameron (Roaring Brook)
- In the Valley of the Sun, Andy Davidson (Skyhorse)
- The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock, Imogen Hermes Gowar (Harper)
- The Water Cure, Sophie Mackintosh (Doubleday)
- Black Snow Falling, LJ MacWhirter (Scotland Street)
- Kintu, Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi (Oneworld)
- Elmet, Fiona Mozley (Algonquin)
- Miss Blaine’s Prefect and the Golden Samovar, Olga Wojtas (Contraband)
The winner will be chosen by public vote, open until October 12, 2018. For more information and a complete list of nominees, see the award website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.