2013 Kitschies Shortlists
Finalists for the 2013 Kitschies, awarded to “the year’s most progressive, intelligent, and entertaining works of genre literature published in the U.K.” have been announced.
Red Tentacle (Novel)
- Red Doc>, Anne Carson (Jonathan Cape)
- More Than This, Patrick Ness (Walker)
- A Tale for the Time Being, Ruth Ozeki (Canongate)
- Bleeding Edge, Thomas Pynchon (Jonathan Cape)
- The Machine, James Smythe (HarperCollins/ Blue Door)
Golden Tentacle (Debut Novel)
- A Calculated Life, Anne Charnock (47 North)
- Stray, Monica Hesse (Hot Key)
- Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie (Orbit)
- Nexus, Ramez Naam (Angry Robot)
- Mr Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, Robin Sloan (Atlantic)
Inky Tentacle (Cover Art)
- Dreams and Shadows, C. Robert Cargill, design and illustration by Sinem Erkas (Gollancz)
- The Age Atomic, Adam Christopher, art by Will Staehle (Angry Robot)
- Homeland and Pirate Cinema, Cory Doctorow, design by Amazing15 (Titan)
- Stray, Monica Hesse, art by Gianmarco Magnani (Hot Key)
- Apocalypse Now Now, Charlie Human, art by Joey Hi-Fi (Century)
The winners will receive a total of £2000 in prize money, as well as a Tentacle trophy and a bottle of rum from award sponsor The Kraken Rum.
Finalists were chosen from a record 234 submissions sent by over 50 publishers/imprints. Fiction winners will be selected by judges Kate Griffin, Nick Harkaway, Will Hill, Anab Jain, and Annabel Wright. Judges for the art award are Craig Kennedy, Sarah Anne Langton, Hazel Thompson, and Emma Vieceli.
Awards will be presented February 12, 2014 in a ceremony held at the Seven Dials Club in London. For more: www.thekitschies.com.