Hugo Awards Winners
The Hugo Awards and John W. Campbell Award winners were presented at the Hugo Award Ceremony, August 9, 2009 at the the 67th Worldcon, Anticipation at the Palais de Congrès in Montreal, Québec.
- The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins; Bloomsbury)
- Anathem, Neal Stephenson (Morrow; Atlantic UK)
- Little Brother, Cory Doctorow (Tor)
- Saturn’s Children, Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit)
- Zoe’s Tale, John Scalzi (Tor)
- “The Erdmann Nexus”, Nancy Kress (Asimov’s Oct/Nov 2008)
- “The Political Prisoner”, Charles Coleman Finlay (F&SF Aug 2008)
- “The Tear”, Ian McDonald (Galactic Empires)
- “True Names”, Benjamin Rosenbaum & Cory Doctorow (Fast Forward 2)
- “Truth”, Robert Reed (Asimov’s Oct/Nov 2008)
- “Shoggoths in Bloom”, Elizabeth Bear (Asimov’s Mar 2008)
- “Alastair Baffle’s Emporium of Wonders”, Mike Resnick (Asimov’s Jan 2008)
- “The Gambler”, Paolo Bacigalupi (Fast Forward 2)
- “Pride and Prometheus”, John Kessel (F&SF Jan 2008)
- “The Ray-Gun: A Love Story”, James Alan Gardner (Asimov’s Feb 2008)
- “Exhalation”, Ted Chiang (Eclipse Two)
- “26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss”, Kij Johnson (Asimov’s Jul 2008)
- “Article of Faith”, Mike Resnick (Baen’s Universe Oct 2008)
- “Evil Robot Monkey”, Mary Robinette Kowal (The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, Volume Two)
- “From Babel’s Fall’n Glory We Fled”, Michael Swanwick (Asimov’s Feb 2008)
- Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded: A Decade of Whatever, 1998-2008, John Scalzi (Subterranean Press)
- Rhetorics of Fantasy, Farah Mendlesohn (Wesleyan University Press)
- Spectrum 15: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art, Cathy Fenner & Arnie Fenner, eds. (Underwood Books)
- The Vorkosigan Companion: The Universe of Lois McMaster Bujold, Lillian Stewart Carl & John Helfers, eds. (Baen)
- What It Is We Do When We Read Science Fiction, Paul Kincaid (Beccon Publications)
- Girl Genius, Volume 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones, Kaja & Phil Foglio, art by Phil Foglio, colors by Cheyenne Wright (Airship Entertainment)
- The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle, Jim Butcher, illustrated by Ardian Syaf (Del Rey/Dabel Brothers Publishing)
- Fables: War and Pieces, Bill Willingham, art by Steve Leialoha & Andrew Pepoy (DC/Vertigo Comics)
- Schlock Mercenary: The Body Politic, Howard Tayler (The Tayler Corporation)
- Serenity: Better Days, Joss Whedon & Brett Matthews, art by Will Conrad (Dark Horse Comics)
- Y: The Last Man, Volume 10: Whys and Wherefores, Brian K. Vaughan DC/Vertigo Comics)
DRAMATIC PRESENTATION: LONG FORM
- WALL-E (Andrew Stanton & Pete Docter, story; Andrew Stanton & Jim Reardon, screenplay; Andrew Stanton, directo; Pixar/Walt Disney)
- The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan & David S. Goyer, story; Jonathan Nolan and and & Christopher Nolan, screenplay; based on characters created by Bob Kane; Christopher Nolan, director; Warner Brothers)
- Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Guillermo del Toro & Mike Mignola, story; Guillermo del Toro, screenplay; based on the comic by Mike Mignola; Guillermo del Toro, director; Dark Horse, Universal)
- Iron Man (Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby and Art Marcum & Matt Holloway, screenplay; based on characters created by Stan Lee & Don Heck & Larry Lieber & Jack Kirby; Jon Favreau, director; Paramount, Marvel Studios)
- METAtropolis (edited by John Scalzi; Elizabeth Bear, Jay Lake, Tobias Buckell, John Scalzi, and Karl Schroeder, writers; Audible Inc.)
DRAMATIC PRESENTATION: SHORT FORM
- Doctor Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog (Joss Whedon, & Zack Whedon, & Jed Whedon, & Maurissa Tancharoen, writers; Joss Whedon, director; Mutant Enemy)
- Battlestar Galactica: “Revelations” (Bradley Thompson & David Weddle, writers; Michael Rymer, director; NBC Universal)
- Doctor Who: “Turn Left” (Russell T. Davies, writer; Graeme Harper, director; BBC Wales)
- Doctor Who: “Silence in the Library”/”Forest of the Dead” (Steven Moffat, writer; Euros Lynn, director; BBC Wales)
- Lost: “The Constant” (Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof, writers; Jack Bender, director; Bad Robot, ABC studios)
- Weird Tales, Ann VanderMeer & Stephen H. Segal, eds.
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Neil Clarke, Nick Mamatas & Sean Wallace, eds.
- Interzone, Andy Cox, ed.
- Locus, Charles N. Brown, Kirsten Gong-Wong & Liza Groen Trombi, eds.
- The New York Review of Science Fiction, Kathryn Cramer, Kris Dikeman, David G. Hartwell & Kevin J. Maroney, eds.
- Electric Velocipede, John Klima
- Argentus, Steven H Silver
- Banana Wings, Claire Brialey & Mark Plummer
- Challenger, Guy H. Lillian III
- The Drink Tank, Chris Garcia
- File 770, Mike Glyer
The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (Not a Hugo)
- David Anthony Durham*
- Aliette de Bodard*
- Felix Gilman
- Tony Pi*
- Gord Sellar*
*(Second year of eligibility)
The 2009 Hugo Awards are for works first published in 2008 or works first published in 2008 in the US that were published in a previous year outside the US.
In addition to the awards listed above, the Big Heart Award was presented to Andrew Porter. The First Fandom Hall of Fame Award was given to James Gunn; Posthumous Hall of Fame went to Walter Daugherty.