Eugene Fischer’s novella “The New Mother” (Asimov’s 4-5/15) and Pat Schmatz’s novel Lizard Radio (Candlewick) are the two winners of the 2015 James Tiptree, Jr. Award, given annually to works of science fiction or fantasy that explore and expand gender roles. Each author will receive $1,000 in prize money, original artwork created to honor the winning works, and chocolate. Fischer will be honored at a ceremony during WisCon, May 27-30, 2016 in Madison WI. Schmatz cannot attend, “but will be feted at an alternate celebration.”
The Tiptree jury released an “honor list” recognizing other noteworthy works:
- “Sarah’s Child”, Susan Jane Bigelow (Strange Horizons 5/19/14)
- “The Shape of My Name”, Nino Cipri (Tor.com 3/4/15)
- The Only Ones, Carola Dibbell (Two Dollar Radio)
- ODY-C: Volume 1: Off to Far Ithicaa, Matt Fraction & Christian Ward (Image)
- A Crown for Cold Silver, Alex Marshall (Orbit)
- “Each to Each”, Seanan McGuire (Lightspeed 6/14)
- “How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps”, A Merc Rustad (Scigentasy 3/14)
- All That Outer Space Allows, Ian Sales (Whippleshield)
- Beyond: The Queer Sci-Fi and Fantasy Comic Anthology, Taneka Stotts and Sfé Monster, eds. (Beyond)
- Steven Universe, created and executive produced by Rebecca Sugar (Cartoon Network 2013-15)
- Radiance, Catherynne M. Valente (Tor)
Jurors were Heather Whipple (chair), Jacqueline Gross, Alessa Hinlo, Keffy R.M. Kehrli, and N.A. Sulway.
The 2016 jurors will be Jeanne Gomoll (chair), Aimee Bahng, James Fox, Roxane Samer, and Deb Taber.
For more information, see the Tiptree website.