HWA 2023 Summer Scares
The Horror Writers Association (HWA) has announced their Summer Scares Reading list for 2023.
- Ring Shout, P. Djèlí Clark (Tordotcom, 2020)
- The Merry Spinster: Tales of Everyday Horror, Daniel M. Lavery (Holt, 2018)
- Catherine House, Elisabeth Thomas (Custom House, 2020)
- Squad, Maggie Tokuda-Hall, illustrated by Lisa Sterle (Greenwillow , 2021)
- Mooncakes, Suzanne Walker, illustrated by Wendy Xu (Oni Press, 2019)
- In The Shadow of Blackbirds, Cat Winters (Amulet, 2013)
- Small Spaces, Katharine Arden (G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers, 2018)
- A Small Zombie Problem, K.G. Campbell (Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2019)
- Living Ghosts and Mischievous Monsters: Chilling American Indian Stories, Dan SaSuWeh Jones, illustrated by Weshoyot Alvitre (Scholastic Nonfiction, 2021)
The program, now in its fifth year, is run in partnership with United for Libraries, Book Riot, and Booklist. “The goal of Summer Scares is to introduce Horror titles to school and public library workers in order to help them start conversations with readers that will extend beyond the books from each list and promote reading for years to come… the Summer Scares committee will be working with both the recommended list authors and Horror authors from all over the country to provide free programming to libraries.”
The 2023 selection committee was Daniel Kraus, Becky Spratford, Konrad Stump, Carolyn Ciesla, Kelly Jensen, and Julia Smith. “You can help kick off Summer Scares 2023 at the HWA’s Librarians’ Day, taking place in person on June 16, 2023, in Pittsburgh as part of StokerCon.”
For more information, see the HWA site.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.