The Mythopoeic Society has announced the 2021 Mythopoeic Awards finalists. Winners will be announced in fall 2021.
Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature
- Magic Lessons, Alice Hoffman (Simon & Schuster)
- Raybearer, Jordan Ifueko (Amulet)
- The House in the Cerulean Sea, TJ Klune (Tor)
- Mexican Gothic, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey)
- The Left-Handed Booksellers of London, Garth Nix (Katherine Tegen)
Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature
- The Silver Arrow, Lev Grossman (Little, Brown)
- Sal and Gabi Break the Universe and Sal and Gabi Fix the Universe, Carlos Hernandez (Disney Hyperion)
- When You Trap a Tiger, Tae Keller (Random House)
- A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking, T. Kingfisher (Argyll)
- Snapdragon, Kat Leyh (First Second)
- A Game of Fox and Squirrels, Jenn Reese (Henry Holt)
Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
- Tolkien’s Lost Chaucer, John M. Bowers (Oxford University Press)
- Tolkien’s Library: An Annotated Checklist, Oronzo Cilli (Luna)
- The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien: The Places That Inspired Middle-earth, John Garth (Princeton University Press)
- Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth, Catherine McIlwaine, ed. (Bodleian Library)
- A Wilderness of Dragons: Essays in Honor of Verlyn Flieger, John Rateliff, ed. (Gabbro Head)
Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies
- The Metamorphoses of Myth in Fiction since 1960, Kathryn Hume (Bloomsbury Academic)
- Gods and Robots: Myths, Machines, and Ancient Dreams of Technology, Adrienne Mayor (Princeton University Press)
- The Shape of Fantasy: Investigating the Structure of American Heroic Epic Fantasy, C. Palmer-Patel (Routledge)
- The Dark Fantastic: Race and the Imagination from Harry Potter to The Hunger Games, Ebony Elizabeth Thomas (New York University Press)
- Fantasies of Time and Death: Dunsany, Eddison, Tolkien, Anna Vaninskaya (Palgrave)
For more information, see the official awards announcement.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.
©Locus Magazine. Copyrighted material may not be republished without permission of LSFF.