The 2021 Aurora Awards ballot has been announced. The Aurora Awards are nominated by members of the Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association. The top five nominated works were selected, with additional works included when there was a tie for fifth place.
- A Stitch in Time, Kelley Armstrong (KLA Fricke)
- A Connecticut Gumshoe in King Arthur’s Court, Randy McCharles (Tyche)
- Beneath the Rising, Premee Mohamed (Solaris)
- Mexican Gothic, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey)
- The Oppenheimer Alternative, Robert J. Sawyer (Red Deer)
Best YA Novel
- The Gryphon’s Lair, Kelley Armstrong (Puffin Canada)
- Return to Atlantis, J.M. Dover (Evil Alter Ego)*
- Flights of Marigold, Susan Forest (Laksa)
- Hollow, Rhonda Parrish (Tyche)
Dragon Assassin, Arthur Slade (Scholastic Canada)**
- Wall of Wishes, Suzy Vadori (Old Vines)
“The Joy in Wounding”, Charlotte Ashley (F&SF 11-12/20)***
- “The Immolation of Kev Magee”, L.X. Beckett (Clarkesworld 8/20)
- “An Important Failure”, Rebecca Campbell (Clarkesworld 8/20)
- “Tool Use by the Humans of Danzhai County”, Derek Künsken (Asimov’s 7-8/20)
- “How Quini the Squid Misplaced His Klobučar”, Rich Larson (Tor.com 1/15/20)
- “Go Fish”, Ian Rogers (Tor.com 4/15/20)
- “To Sail the Black”, A.C. Wise (Clarkesworld 11/20)
Best Short Story
- “The Bone-Stag Walks”, KT Bryski (Lightspeed 8/20)
- “Night Folk”, Barb Galler-Smith (Galaxy’s Edge 11/20)
- “All Cats Go to Valhalla”, Chadwick Ginther (Swashbuckling Cats)
- “Breathe”, Calvin D. Jim (Prairie Gothic)
- “So You Want to Be a Honeypot”, Kelly Robson (Uncanny 3-4/20)
- “Grass Gods”, Elizabeth Whitton (Prairie Gothic)
Best Graphic Novel/Comic
- Gothic Tales of Haunted Futures, S.M. Beiko, ed. (Renegade Arts)
- Krampus is My Boyfriend!, S.M. Beiko (https://www.smbeiko.com/)
- Crash and Burn, Kate Larking & Finn Lucullan (Astres)
- It Never Rains, Kari Maaren (http://itneverrainscomic.com/)
- Goblins, Ellipsis Hana Stephens (https://www.goblinscomic.org/)
- Northwest Resistance, Katherena Vermette, illustrated by Scott B. Henderson (Highwater)
Best Related Work
- PodCastle, Jen R. Albert & Cherae Clark, eds., host Setsu Uzumé & producer Peter Adrian Behravesh
- Augur #3.1 and 3.2, Kerry C. Byrne, Alexander De Pompa & Lawrence Stewen, eds.
- Prairie Gothic, Stacey Kondla, ed. (Prairie Soul)
- Disfigured: On Fairy Tales, Disability, and Making Space, Amanda Leduc (Coach House)
- Swashbuckling Cats: Nine Lives on the Seven Seas, Rhonda Parrish, ed. (Tyche)
- On Spec, Diane L. Walton, ed.
- “Masquerade”, Colleen Anderson (On Spec #115)
- “The Death of the Gods”, Leah Bobet (Uncanny 1-2/20)
- “he scores”, Beth Cato & Rhonda Parrish (Star*Line Spring ’20)
- “Back Story”, David Clink (Strange Horizons 9/20)
- “Electra”, Y.M. Pang (Arsenika Winter ’20)
- “Arachnoid Cyst”, Dominik Parisien (This 3-4/20)
- “Hamilton Harbour”, Lynne Sargent (A Refuge of Tales)
- “Nidhog”, Jo Walton (The Book of Dragons)
- Lorna Antoniazzi, covers for Augur #3.1 and 3.2
- Samantha M. Beiko, cover for Flights of the Marigold
- Swati Chavda, art, maps, and covers for multiple publications
- Dan O’Driscoll, cover for Corona Burning
- Maia Kondla-Wolf, cover for Prairie Gothic
Best Visual Presentation
- Don’t Text Back
- Murdoch Mysteries, Season 13, Episodes 10-18
- Trickster, Episodes 1-6
- The Umbrella Academy
- Wynonna Earp, Season 4, Episodes 1-6
Best Fan Writing and Publications
- BCSFAzine #538-547, R. Graeme Cameron, ed.
- Clubhouse, R. Graeme Cameron (Amazing Stories)
- Polar Borealis #13-16, R. Graeme Cameron, ed.
- Travelling TARDIS, Jennifer Desmarais (JenEric Designs)
- Young People Read Old SFF, James Davis Nicoll, ed.
- Random Musings, Robert J. Sawyer (BCSFAzine #539-547)
Best Fan Related Work
- ephemera reading series, KT Bryski & Jen R. Albert
- AugurCon, Kerry C. Byrne & Terese Mason Pierre
- 2020 Aurora Awards Ceremony, Mark Leslie Lefebvre & Liz Anderson
- When Words Collide, Randy McCharles, chair
- Speculating Canada, Derek Newman-Stille
“Due to Covid-19, works normally in Fan Organizational are in the Fan Related Work category.” Winners will be announced in an online ceremony on October 16, 2021, during Can-Con.
For more information, and complete nominees, see the Aurora Awards website.
*Return to Atlantis by J.M. Dover was added to the YA Novel category by the administrators on May 11, 2021.
**Dragon Assassin by Arthur Slade in the YA Novel category was originally published in 2019 as three novellas, and was deemed ineligible and removed from the ballot by the administrators.
***”The Joy in Wounding” by Charlotte Ashley in the Best Novelette/Novella category was originally published in 2019, and was deemed ineligible and removed from the ballot by the administrators.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.