Tolkien Society Awards 2021
Winners of the Tolkien Society Awards 2021 were announced on April 11, 2021. The awards “recognize excellence in the fields of Tolkien scholarship and fandom, highlighting our long-standing charitable objective to ‘seek to educate the public in, and promote research into, the life and works of'” J.R.R. Tolkien. The society’s trustees choose the shortlist, with winners chosen by the membership.
- WINNER: “He Beheld a Vision of Gondolin Amid the Snow”, Ted Nasmith
- “A Year at Bag End”, Soni Alcorn-Hender
- “Elf-warrior: Sam at the Tower of Cirith Ungol”, Jay Johnstone
- “Inside Information”, Norloth/Wenjin Lu
- WINNER: “Defying and Defining Darkness”, Verlyn Flieger (Mallorn Winter 2020)
- “Letting images speak for themselves: Tolkien’s rebus letter to Fr. Fancis Morgan, August 8, 1904”, Denis Bridoux (Beyond Bree 12/20)
- “The Forest Haven Episode: How Sir Gawain and the Green Knight’s Hautdesert Shaped The Lord of the Ring’s Caras Galadhon”, Andoni Cossio (Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment 12/20)
- “Tolkien’s Work on the Oxford English Dictionary: Some New Evidence From Quotation Slips”, Rachel Fletcher (Journal of Tolkien Research, issue 10, vol. 2)
- “Greed and Blood: Powerful Objects in The Silmarillion and Javanese Book of Monarchs”, Putri Prihatini (The Lore Master 12/24/20)
- WINNER: Unfinished Tales, J.R.R. Tolkien
- Hither Shore 14: Literary Worldbuilding, Thomas Fornet-Ponse, ed.
- The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien, John Garth
- Fantasies of Time and Death: Dunsany, Eddison, and Tolkien, Anna Vaninskaya
- Gleanings from Tolkien’s Garden, Renee Vink
Best Online Content
- WINNER: Tolkien Experience Podcast
Outstanding Contribution Award
- Dimitra Fimi
For more, see the Tolkien Society website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.