The Horror Writers Association (HWA) has announced their Summer Scares Reading list for 2021.
- The Hunger, Alma Katsu (Putnam)
- The Cipher, Kathe Koja (Meerkat)
- Frankenstein in Baghdad, Ahmed Saadawi, translated by Jonathan Wright (Penguin)
- Undead Girl Gang, Lily Anderson (Razorbill)
- The Diviners, Libba Bray (Little, Brown)
- The Marrow Thieves, Cherie Dimaline (Dancing Cat)
- Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods, Hal Johnson (Workman)
- Ollie’s Odyssey, William Joyce (Atheneum)
- Whichwood, Tahereh Mafi (Dutton)
The program is run in partnership with United for Libraries, Book Riot, and Library Journal/School Library Journal. “The goal of the program is to encourage a national conversation about the entire horror genre, across all age levels, at libraries all over the country and ultimately get more adults, teens, and children interested in reading.” The 2021 selection committee was Carolyn Ciesla, JG Faherty, Kelly Jensen, Silvia Morena-Garcia, Julia Smith, Becky Spratford, and Konrad Stump. The 2021 Summer Scares programming will be held online in conjunction with StokerCon, May 20-23, 2021.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.