The longlist for the 2021 Branford Boase Award has been announced and includes several titles of genre interest:
- The Infinite, Patience Agbabi (Canongate)
- Tiger Heart, Penny Chrimes (Orion)
- The Good Hawk, Joseph Elliott (Walker)
- A Clock of Stars: The Shadow Moth, Francesca Gibbons (HarperCollins)
- Orla and the Serpent’s Curse, C.J. Haslam (Walker)
- Witch, Finbar Hawkins (Head of Zeus)
- The Wild Way Home, Sophie Kirtley (Bloomsbury)
- The Strangeworlds Travel Agency, L.D. Lapinski (Orion)
- Orphans of the Tide, Struan Murray (Puffin)
- The Vanishing Trick, Jenni Spangler (Simon & Schuster)
- The Unadoptables, Hana Tooke (Puffin)
- The Pure Heart, Trudi Tweedie (Chicken House)
The award is “given annually to the author of an outstanding debut novel for children.” The author and editor of the winning title each receive an engraved trophy, and the author receives £1,000. Judges are Zoey Dixon, Julia Eccleshare (chair), Scott Evans, Liz Hyder, and Natasha Radford.
For more information, including the complete longlist, see the Branford Boase Award site.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.