Amazon.com published its yearly array of lists to promote the best books of 2020, with editors’ selections in various categories.
Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer (Little, Brown), Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey), Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore (Flatiron), and The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab (Tor) are included in the overall Top 20 list. Editors’ picks for science fiction and fantasy are:
- Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre, Max Brooks (Del Rey)
- Battle Ground, Jim Butcher (Ace)
- The Empire of Gold, S.A. Chakraborty (Harper Voyager)
- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Suzanne Collins (Scholastic)
- Race the Sands, Sarah Beth Durst (Harper Voyager)
- The Midnight Library, Matt Haig (Viking)
- The Once and Future Witches, Alix E. Harrow (Redhook)
- The City We Became, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
- The House in the Cerulean Sea, TJ Klune (Tor)
- Mexican Gothic, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey)
- Harrow the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir (Tor.com Publishing)
- A Deadly Education, Naomi Novik (Del Rey)
- To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, Christopher Paolini (Tor)
- Black Sun, Rebecca Roanhorse (Saga)
- Scarlet Odyssey, C.T. Rwizi (47North)
- The Last Emperox, John Scalzi (Tor)
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, V.E. Schwab (Tor)
- Bonds of Brass, Emily Skrutskie (Del Rey)
- The Bone Shard Daughter, Andrea Stewart (Orbit)
- Network Effect, Martha Wells (Tor.com Publishing)
The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin (Orbit) was selected as the best science fiction and fantasy book of the year. For more information, including the complete lists in all categories, see Amazon’s website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.
©Locus Magazine. Copyrighted material may not be republished without permission of LSFF.