The 15-title longlist for the 2021 Aspen Words Literary Prize has been announced, including titles and authors of genre interest:
- Leave the World Behind, Rumaan Alam (Ecco)
- The New Wilderness, Diane Cook (HarperCollins)
- The Death of Vivek, Akwaeke Emezi (Riverhead)
- The Night Watchman, Louise Erdrich (Harper)
- If I Had Two Wings, Randall Kenan (Norton)
- A Children’s Bible, Lydia Millet (Norton)
- A Girl is a Body of Water, Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi (Tin House)
- Memorial, Bryan Washington (Riverhead)
Finalists will be announced February 17, 2021, and the winner will be announced during an online ceremony in April 2021. The $35,000 prize is awarded to “an influential work of fiction focused on vital contemporary issues.” Finalists and winner are chosen by jury which this year consists of Emily Bernard, Sarah Ladipo Manyika, Viet Thanh Nguyen, Daniel Shaw, and Luis Alberto Urrea. Aspen Words is a program of the Aspen Institute.
For more information, see the Aspen Words website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.
©Locus Magazine. Copyrighted material may not be republished without permission of LSFF.