The African Speculative Fiction Society (ASFS) has announced the winners of the 2020 Nommo Awards, given for speculative fiction by Africans living anywhere, presented October 25, 2020 in an online ceremony.
- WINNER: David Mogo, Godhunter, Suyi Davies Okungbowa (Abaddon)
- Sing Down the Stars, Nerine Dorman (Tafelberg)
- Triangulum, Masande Ntshanga (Penguin Random House South Africa/Two Dollar Radio)
- War Girls, Tochi Onyebuchi (Razorbill)
- The Old Drift, Namwali Serpell (Hogarth)
- Rosewater Insurrection, Tade Thompson (Orbit)
- WINNER: “Incompleteness Theories”, Wole Talabi (Incomplete Solutions)
Best Short Story (tie)
- WINNER: “Sin Eater“, Chikodili Emelumadu (Omenana 5/19)
- WINNER: “Tiny Bravery“, Ada Nnadi (Omenana 10/19)
- “Principles of Balance“, Ivana Akotowaa Ofori (Jalada 6/19)
- “The Haunting of 13 Olúwo Street“, Suyi Davies Okungbowa (Fireside 10/19)
- “Between the Dark and the Dark“, Deji Bryce Olukotun (Lightspeed 6/19)
- “When We Dream We Are Our God“, Wole Talabi (10 Investigations: All Borders Are Temporary; Apex 5/19)
Best Comic/Graphic Novel
- WINNER: Danfo, Morakinyo Araoye, Steven Akinyemi & Ogim Ekpezu (TAG)
- Sanu, Ssentongo Charles (Elupe)
- Hawi, Beserat Debebe & Stanley Obende (Etan)
- Kami, Mika Hirwa (Mira Hirwa)
- Beast from Venus, Kiprop Kimutai & Salim Busuru (Avandu Vosi)
- Captain South Africa, Bill Masuku (Enigma Comix)
- “Welcome to the Dead World”, Bill Masuku (Sam Graphico Anthology)
- Nani, Ziki Nelson & Jason Lamy (Kugali)
Presenters were Mame Bougouma Diene, Setor Fiadzigbey, Chinelo Onwualu, and Tade Thompson. For more information, see the ASFS website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.
©Locus Magazine. Copyrighted material may not be republished without permission of LSFF.