Winners and runners-up for the Gollancz and Rivers of London BAME SFF Award have been announced:
- First place: “The Principles of Moments”, Esmie Jikiemi-Pearson
- Second place: “The Reeves’ Guild”, Kyla Jardine
- “The Shape of the World”, Amy Borg
- “The Scent of Cloves”, Dan Buchanan
- “Kali’s Call”, Dolly Garland
- “Nowhere more Changeable than the Mortal Heart”, Ewen Ma
- “Blood of the Wolf”, Jaya Martin
- “Seeds of Heaven”, Victor Ogana
The award was launched in 2019 by Gollancz and author Ben Aaronovitch, in partnership with NaNoWriMo and the Good Literary Agency “to champion underrepresented BAME [Black, Asian, and minority ethnic] voices in the genres of science fiction, fantasy and horror.” Judges are Adjoa Andoh, Dhonielle Clayton, Abi Fellows, Daphne Tonge, and Rachel Winterbottom.
First prize includes £4,000, a critique, and a year-long mentoring program with Gollancz editor Rachel Winterbottom. Second place receives £2,000 and a critique of their work; runners-up receive £800. All shortlisted authors receive a Gollancz goodie bag.
For more information, see the Gollancz website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.