The shortlists for the 2020 Norma K. Hemming Award have been announced.
Short Fiction (stories up to 17,500 words)
- “Like Ripples on a Blank Shore”, J.S. Breukelaar (Collision)
- “The Mark”, Grace Chan (Verge 2019: Uncanny)
- “‘Scapes Made Diamond”, Shauna O’Meara (Interzone 3-4/19)
- “The Promise of Saints”, Angela Slatter (A Miscellany of Death & Folly)
- Winter’s Tale, Nike Sulway & Shauna O’Meara (Twelfth Planet)
- “Rats”, Marlee Jane Ward (Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOZYA Stories)
- Collision, J.S. Breukelaar (Meerkat)
- From Here On, Monsters, Elizabeth Bryer (Picador Australia)
- The Old Lie, Claire G. Coleman (Hachette Australia)
- Blackbirds Sing, Aiki Flinthart (CAT)
- Ghost Bird, Lisa Fuller (University of Queensland Press)
- Darkdawn, Jay Kristoff (St. Martin’s)
- The Trespassers, Meg Mundell (University of Queensland Press)
The Hemming Award is presented by the Australian Science Fiction Foundation (ASFF) to “recognise excellence in the exploration of themes of race, gender, sexuality, class or disability in a published speculative fiction work.” The winner will be announced at an online ceremony in the first week of September.
For more information see the Hemming award website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.