The shortlists for the 2020 Sunburst Awards for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic have been announced:
- Shout Kill Revel Repeat, Scott R. Jones (Trepidatio)
- The Migration, Helen Marshall (Random House Canada)
- Crow Winter, Karen McBride (HarperAvenue)
- Gods of Jade and Shadow, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey)
- Moccasin Square Gardens, Richard Van Camp (Douglas & McIntyre)
Young Adult Fiction
- The Candle and the Flame, Nafiza Azad (Scholastic)
- Nevers, Sara Cassidy (Orca)
- Those Who Dwell Below, Aviaq Johnston (Inhabit)
- Nikki Tesla and the Ferret-Proof Death Ray, Jess Keating (Scholastic)
- The Ghost Collector, Allison Mills (Annick)
- “The Fourth Trimester is the Strangest”, Rebecca Campbell (F&SF 5-6/19)
- “Florilegia”, Amal El-Mohtar (The Mythic Dream)
- “The Inland Beacon”, Kate Heartfield (Tesseracts Twenty-Two: Alchemy and Artifacts)
- “The Hundred Gardens”, Catherine Kim (Nat. Brut Spring ’19)
- “Wheetago War II: Summoners”, Richard Van Camp (Moccasin Square Gardens)
Winners will be announced in Fall 2020. “Winners receive a medallion that incorporates the Sunburst logo. Winners of both the Adult and Young Adult Sunburst Award also receive a cash prize of $1,000, while winners of the Short Story Sunburst Award receive a cash prize of $500.” The jurors for the 2020 awards are Peter Darbyshire, Kristyn Dunnion, Omar El Akkad, Michelle Butler Hallett, John Jantunen, Michael Johnstone, Ursula Pflug, and Sarah Tolmie.
For more information, see the Sunburst Award Society.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.