- Conjure Women, Afia Atakora (Random House)
- The Illness Lesson, Clare Beams (Doubleday)
- Bestiary, K-Ming Chang (One World)
- Things You Would Know If You Grew Up Around Here, Nancy Wayson Dinan (Bloomsbury)
- Temporary, Hilary Leichter (Coffee House)
- Sharks in the Time of Saviors, Kawai Strong Washburn (MCD)
- Memorial, Bryan Washington (Riverhead)
- How Much of These Hills Is Gold, C Pam Zhang (Riverhead)
The longlist is selected by “members of the Center’s network of booklovers.” The shortlist and winners are decided by “a committee of distinguished American writers.” The short list will be announced in Fall 2020 and the winner will be announced during the Center’s Annual Benefit & Awards Dinner in December. The winning author receives $15,000. Each shortlisted author receives $1,000.
For more information, including the complete long list, see the Center for Fiction’s website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.