The inaugural longlist for the Diverse Book Awards, created “to highlight the best of the diverse voices published in the UK during 2019, both traditionally and self-published,” has been announced. Titles and authors of possible genre interest include:
- Tin Boy, Steve Cole, illustrated by Oriol Vidal (Barrington Stoke)
- The Mysterious Melody, SP K-Mushambi, illustrated by Kudzai Gumbo (Naniso Create)
Best Young Adult
- The Deathless Girls, Kiran Millwood Hargrave (Orion)
- Oh My Gods, Alexandra Sheppard (Scholastic)
- The Tunnels Below, Nadine Wild-Palmer (Pushkin Children’s)
The 2020 judges are Rebekah Banda, Alicia Cruz, Caroline Fielding, Rob Green, Luisa Maria, and Samantha Williams.
The shortlist will be announced in September 2020 and winners will be announced at the Hashtag BLAK party in October 2020. Winners receive “a trophy, a PR campaign from the award winning Literally PR, an interview/feature in Pen & Inc magazine and more!”
For more information, including the complete longlist, see the Diverse Book Awards website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.