The World Fantasy Convention (WFC) has announced that this year’s WFC, scheduled for October 29 – November 1, 2020 in Salt Lake City, will be held as an entirely virtual event.
Plans have already begun to transition many of the traditional physical experiences you’ve come to expect from World Fantasy Convention. We’ll be ironing out the details in the coming months, but we hope to provide a variety of online offerings, including:
- A full schedule of panel discussions by professionals in the fantasy genre
- Readings by your favorite fantasy authors
- Demonstrations by fantasy artists
- Spotlight interviews with our honored guests: Stephen Gallagher, David Cherry, Anne Groell, CJ Cherryh, Cindy Pon, Stephen Graham Jones, Brandon Sanderson, and Tracy and Laura Hickman
- The ability to interact in a small group setting with some of the authors, editors, agents, and artists who participate in the World Fantasy Convention program
- Lots of time to chat with other World Fantasy Convention members online
- An exhibit hall with links to our dealers
- An art show, with the opportunity to purchase artwork directly from fantasy artists
- A collector’s item souvenir book that includes high-quality artwork by our artist Guest of Honor David Cherry, fiction by our honored guest authors, appreciation articles, bios, World Fantasy Convention history, and more
- The World Fantasy Award ceremony, which recognizes outstanding people, fiction, art, semi-professional and professional contributions in the fantasy and horror genre
- We’re even working on ways to get autographs for your favorite fantasy books!
Membership fees for the virtual convention have gone down from $175 to $125, and a $50 refund will be offered to all former attendees transitioning to virtual participation. For more on reimbursements and cancellations, see the WFC website.
For more information, see the full WFC announcement.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.