The 2020 Aurora Awards ballot has been announced. The Aurora Awards are nominated by members of the Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association. The top five nominated works were selected, with additional works included when there was a tie for fifth place.
- Haunting the Haunted, E.C. Bell (Tyche)
- The Gossamer Mage, Julie E. Czerneda (DAW)
- A Brightness Long Ago, Guy Gavriel Kay (Viking Canada)
- The Quantum Garden, Derek Künsken (Solaris)
- Jade War, Fonda Lee (Orbit)
- Gods of Jade and Shadow, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey)
Best YA Novel
- Wolf’s Bane, Kelley Armstrong (KLA Fricke)
- The Brilliant Dark, S.M. Beiko (ECW)
- Metamorphosis, Marty Chan (Fitzhenry & Whiteside)
- Bursts of Fire, Susan Forest (Laksa)
- Murder at the World’s Fair, M.J. Lyons (Renaissance)
Best Short Fiction
- This Is How You Lose the Time War, Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone (Saga)
- “Clear as Quartz, Sharp as Flint”, Maria Haskins (Augur 2.1)
- Alice Payne Rides, Kate Heartfield (Tor.com Publishing)
- “Little Inn on the Jianghu”, Y.M. Pang (F&SF 9/19)
- “Modigliani Paints the World”, Hayden Trenholm (Neo-Opsis #30)
- “Blindside”, Liz Westbrook-Trenholm (Amazing Stories Fall ’19)
Best Graphic Novel
- The Handmaid’s Tale: The Graphic Novel, Margaret Atwood & Renee Nault (McClelland & Stewart)
- Krampus Is My Boyfriend!, S.M. Beiko (https://www.smbeiko.com/)
- It Never Rains, Kari Maaren (http://itneverrainscomic.com/)
- Dakwäkãda Warriors, Cole Pauls (Conundrum)
- Carpe Fin, Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas (Douglas & McIntyre)
Best Related Work
- PodCastle, Jen R. Albert & Cherae Clark, eds.
- Nothing Without Us, Cait Gordon & Talia C. Johnson (Renaissance)
- Neo-opsis, Karl Johanson, ed.
- Lackington’s, Ranylt Richildis, ed.
- “Dave Duncan’s Legacy”, Robert Runté (On Spec #111)
- Augur #2.1, 2.2, and 2.3, Kerrie Seljak-Byrne & Alexander De Pompa, eds.
- On Spec, Diane L. Walton, ed.
- “The Girl Who Loved Birds”, Clara Blackwood (Amazing Stories Spring ’19)
- “At the Edge of Space and Time”, Swati Chavda (Love at the Speed of Light)
- “Steampunk Christmas”, David Clink (Star*Line Fall ’19)
- “The Day the Animals Turned to Sand”, Tyler Hagemann (Amazing Stories Spring ’19)
- “Totemic Ants”, Francine P. Lewis (Amazing Stories Fall ’19)
- “Beauty, Sleeping”, Lynne Sargent (Augur #2.2)
- “Bursts of Fire”, Sora (theme song for book trailers)
- Samantha M. Beiko, cover for Bursts of Fire
- James F. Beveridge, cover for Fata Morgana and cover for On Spec 112
- Lynne Taylor Fahnestalk, “A Rivet of Robots” in On Spec and cartoons in Amazing Stories
- Nathan Fréchette, covers for Renaissance Press
- Dan O’Driscoll, covers for Bundoran Press and cover for On Spec 110
Best Visual Presentation
- The Umbrella Academy
- V Wars, Season 1
- Killjoys, Season 5
- Murdoch Mysteries, Season 12, Episodes 10-18 and Season 13, Episodes 1-9
- Van Helsing, Season 4
Best Fan Writing and Publications
- Weekly online columns for Amazing Stories, R. Graeme Cameron
- Polar Borealis issues 9-12, R. Graeme Cameron, ed.
- “Travelling TARDIS“, Jen Desmarais (JenEric Designs)
- Weekly online columns for Amazing Stories, Steve Fahnestalk
- “Will Voyager 1 leave the Milky Way?“, Ron S. Friedman (Quora)
- Books and Tea, Christina Vasilevski
Best Fan Organizational
- KT Bryski & Jen R. Albert, ephemera reading series, Toronto
- Brent Jans, Pure Speculation Science Fiction and Fantasy Festival, Edmonton
- Derek Künsken & Marie Bilodeau, co-chairs, Can-Con, Ottawa
- Randy McCharles, chair, When Words Collide, Calgary
- Sandra Wickham, Creative Ink Festival, Burnaby, BC
Best Fan Related Work
The awards ceremony will be held online in conjunction with When Words Collide (Calgary) on August 15, 2020.
For more information, and complete nominees, see the Aurora Awards website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.