Winners for the 2019 Kitschies, awarded “for progressive, intelligent, and entertaining literature with a speculative element,” were announced April 6, 2020 in a virtual ceremony.
The Red Tentacle (Novel)
- WINNER: The Fire Starters, Jan Carson (Transworld)
- This is How You Lose the Time War, Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone (Jo Fletcher)
- Always North, Vicki Jarrett (Unsung)
- The Memory Police, Yoko Ogawa (Harvill Secker)
- From The Wreck, Jane Rawson (Picador)
The Golden Tentacle (Debut)
- WINNER: Jelly, Clare Rees (Chicken House)
- My Name Is Monster, Katie Hale (Canongate)
- The Ten Thousand Doors of January, Alix E. Harrow (Orbit)
- She Would Be King, Wayétu Moore (Pushkin)
- Wilder Girls, Rory Power (Pan Macmillan)
The Inky Tentacle (Cover Art)
- WINNER: Yoko Ogawa’s The Memory Police, designed by Tyler Comrie (Harvill Secker)
Novel and debut winners were selected by judges Michaela Grey, Kirsty Logan, Claire North, Alasdair Stuart, and Tasha Suri. Judges for art were Kim Curran, Sharan Matharu, Kaiya Shang, and James Spackman. Winners receive tentacle trophies and a total cash prize of £2,000, sponsored by Blackwell’s.
For more, see the Kitschies website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.