2020 Brave New Words Award Nominees
Nominees for the Brave New Words Award have been announced by Starburst magazine:
- Dead Blondes and Bad Mothers, Sady Doyle (Melville House)
- This is How You Lose the Time War, Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone (Saga; Quercus)
- The Imaginary Corpse, Tyler Hayes (Angry Robot)
- Gideon the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir (Tor.com Publishing)
- New Suns: Original Speculative Fiction by People of Color, Nisi Shawl, ed. (Rebellion)
- Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter (Orbit)
Starburst editorial staff chose the shortlist: “The award goes to an individual, not a specific work. The magazine’s team actively sought out examples published in 2019 that most define a creator’s output…. From roughly 100 entries, which included blog posts, comic books, short stories, screenplays, poetry, anthologies and novels.” Judges are Matt Cavanagh, Rebecca Derrick, Ed Fortune, Jane Hanmer, Esther MacCallum-Stewart, and Russell Smith. The winner will be announced at a ceremony during the Edge-Lit 9 festival, to be held July 11-12, 2020 at QUAD in Derby, UK.
For more information, see the Starburst website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.