The shortlist for the 2019 British Science Fiction Association (BSFA) Awards has been announced.
- The Green Man’s Foe, Juliet E. McKenna (Wizard’s Tower)
- Atlas Alone, Emma Newman (Gollancz)
- Fleet of Knives, Gareth L. Powell (Titan)
- Children of Ruin, Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tor)
- The Rosewater Insurrection, Tade Thompson (Orbit)
Best Shorter Fiction
- To Be Taught, If Fortunate, Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton)
- This is How You Lose the Time War, Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone (Jo Fletcher)
- “Jolene”, Fiona Moore (Interzone 9-10/19)
- Ragged Alice, Gareth L. Powell (Tor.com Publishing)
- The Survival of Molly Southbourne, Tade Thompson (Tor.com Publishing)
- “For Your Own Good”, Ian Whates (Wourism and Other Stories)
- The Pleasant Profession of Robert A. Heinlein, Farah Mendlesohn (Unbound)
- Sideways in Time: Critical Essays on Alternate History Fiction, Glyn Morgan & C. Palmer-Patel, eds. (Liverpool University Press)
- About Writing, Gareth L. Powell (Luna)
- HG Wells: A Literary Life, Adam Roberts (Palgrave Macmillan)
- Away Day: Star Trek and the Utopia of Merit, Jo Lindsay Walton (Big Echo)
- Cover for Deeplight by Frances Hardinge, Aitch & Rachel Vale (Macmillan)
- Cover for Wourism and Other Stories by Ian Whates, Chris Baker (Luna)
- Cover for Fleet of Knives by Gareth L. Powell, Julia Lloyd (Titan)
- Cover for The Rosewater Redemption by Tade Thompson, Charlotte Stroomer (Orbit)
- Cover for Interzone 11-12/19, Richard Wagner
The awards will be voted on by members of BSFA and the British Annual Science Fiction Convention (Eastercon). The winners will be announced at Concentric: Eastercon 2020, to be held April 10-13, 2020 at the Birmingham Hilton Metropolis Hotel in Birmingham, UK. For more information, see the BSFA website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.
©Locus Magazine. Copyrighted material may not be republished without permission of LSFF.