The long list for the 2020 Branford Boase Award has been announced and includes several titles of genre interest:
- The Middler, Kirsty Applebaum (Nosy Crow)
- Asha and the Spirit Bird, Jasbinder Bilan (Chicken House)
- A Pocketful of Stars, Aisha Bushby (Egmont)
- Charlie Changes into a Chicken, Sam Copeland (Puffin)
- The Girl Who Lost Her Shadow, Emily Ilett (Floris)
- Frostheart, Jamie Littler (Puffin)
- Nevertell, Katharine Orton (Walker)
- The Midnight Hour, Benjamin Read & Laura Trinder (Chicken House)
- Bloom, Nicola Skinner (HarperCollins)
- Starfell: Willow Moss and the Lost Day, Dominique Valente (HarperCollins)
The award is “given annually to the author of an outstanding debut novel for children.” The short list will be announced April 30, 2020. Winners will be announced July 1. Judges are Sue Bastone, Victoria Dilly, Julia Eccleshare (chair), Layla Hudson, and Muhammad Khan.
For more information, including the complete long list, see the Branford Boase Award site.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.