The winners for the 2018 Sidewise Awards for Alternate History have been announced.
- WINNER: The Calculating Stars, Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor)
- Summerland, Hannu Rajaniemi (Tor)
- The Trial and Execution of the Traitor George Washington, Charles Rosenberg (Hanover Square)
- Unholy Land, Lavie Tidhar (Tachyon)
- WINNER: Codex Valtierra, Oscar (Xiu) Ramirez & Emmanuel Valtierra (self-published)
- “The Secret City”, Rick Wilber (Asimov’s 9-10/18)
In addition, the judges announced a Special Achievement Sidewise Award for Eric Flint “for his ongoing encouragement of the genre of alternate history through his support of the community and writers developed around his 1632 series.”
The Sidewise Awards have been presented annually since 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate historical fiction. This year’s judges were Karen Hellekson, Matt Mitrovich, Jim Rittenhouse, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver.
For more, see the Sidewise Awards website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.