The 58th Japan Science Fiction Convention has announced the 2019 Seiun Awards winners (the Japanese equivalent to the Hugo Awards), honoring the best original and translated works published last year in Japan. The winners for translated works are:
Best Translated Novel
- WINNER: Mecha Samurai Empire, Peter Tieryas, translated by Naoya Nakahara (Hayakawa)
- Six Wakes, Mur Lafferty, translated by Takeshi Mogi (Tokyo Sogensha)
- Provenance, Ann Leckie, translated by Hideko Akao (Tokyo Sogensha)
- Waking Gods, Sylvain Neuvel, translated by Chiori Sada (Tokyo Sogensha)
- Seveneves, Neal Stephenson, translated by Masamichi Higurashi (Hayakawa)
- We Are Legion (We Are Bob), Dennis E. Taylor, translated by Hiroshi Kaneko (Hayakawa)
- Artemis, Andy Weir, translated by Kazuko Onoda (Hayakawa)
Best Translated Story
- WINNER: “The Circle”, Liu Cixin, translated by Naoya Nakahara (Invisible Planets)
- “Převychovaní”, Jan Barda, translated by Kiyomi Hirano (Czech SF)
- “Cybertank vs. Megazillus”, Timothy J. Gawne, translated by Akinobu Sakai (SF Magazine 2/18)
- “The Martian Obelisk”, Linda Nagata, translated by Naoya Nakahara (SF Magazine 10/18)
- “Between Nine and Eleven”, Adam Roberts, translated by Masayuki Uchida (SF Magazine 4/18)
- “A Monster in the Midst”, Julio Toro San Martin, translated by Yoshio Nomura (Fungi)
- “Liar’s House”, Lucius Shepard, translated by Masayuki Uchida (The Dragon Griaule and Other Stories)
There are also winners in Japanese Novel, Japanese Story, Dramatic Presentation, Comics, Art, Non-Fiction, and “Free” categories. A complete list of winners (in Japanese) is available at the Nihon SF Taikai website.
The awards were presented at “Sci-con,” the 58th Japan SF convention, on July 27, 2019 in Saitama, Japan.
[Thanks to Teruyuki Hashimoto for help with translations.]
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.