The shortlists for the 2019 Norma K. Hemming Award have been announced.
Short Fiction (stories up to 17,500 words)
- “Pinion”, Stephanie Gunn (Aurum)
- “Triquetra”, Kirstyn McDermott (Tor.com 9/5/18)
- “The Sea-Maker of Darmid Bay”, Shauna O’Meara (Interzone 9-10/18)
- “With this Needle I Thee Thread”, Angela Rega (Aurum)
- “Shatterglass”, Susan Wardle (Aurum)
- “Knitting Day”, Jen White (Mother of Invention)
- Icefall, Stephanie Gunn (Twelfth Planet)
- City of Lies, Sam Hawke (Tor)
- Catching Teller Crow, Ambelin Kwaymullina & Ezekiel Kwaymullina (Allen & Unwin)
- The Second Cure, Margaret Morgan (Penguin Random House)
- Mother of Invention, Rivqa Rafael & Tansy Rayner Roberts, eds. (Twelfth Planet)
The Hemming Award is presented by the Australian Science Fiction Foundation (ASFF) to “recognise excellence in the exploration of themes of race, gender, sexuality, class or disability in a published speculative fiction work.”
The winner will be announced June 8, 2019 at Continuum 15, the Australian National SF Convention, at the Jasper Hotel in Melbourne Australia.
For more information see the Hemming award website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.