2018 Kitschies Winners
Winners for the 2018 Kitschies, awarded to “the year’s most progressive, intelligent and entertaining science fiction,” have been announced.
The Red Tentacle (Novel)
- WINNER: Circe, Madeline Miller (Bloomsbury)
- Record of a Spaceborn Few, Becky Chambers (Harper Voyager)
- The Smoke, Simon Ings (Titan)
- Rosewater, Tade Thompson (Orbit)
- Unholy Land, Lavie Tidhar (Tachyon)
The Golden Tentacle (Debut)
- WINNER: Frankenstein in Baghdad, Ahmed Saadawi (Oneworld)
- Children of Blood and Bone, Tomi Adeyemi (Henry Holt)
- Semiosis, Sue Burke (Harper Voyager)
- The Poppy War, R.F. Kuang (Harper Voyager)
- Sweet Fruit, Sour Land, Rebecca Ley (Sandstone)
The Inky Tentacle (Cover Art)
- WINNER: Haruki Murakami’s Killing Commendatore, design by Suzanne Dean (Knopf)
- Anonymous’s Slender Man, design by Mike Topping (Harper Voyager)
- Simon Ings’s The Smoke, design by James Nunn (Titan)
- Anna Mill & Luke Jones’s Square Eyes, design by Anna Mill & Luke Jones (Jonathan Cape)
- Lidia Yuknavitch’s The Book of Joan, design by Rafaela Romaya (Canongate)
Novel and debut winners were selected by judges Daniel Carpenter, Sharan Dhaliwal, Adam Roberts, Lucy Smee, and Matt Webb. Judges for art were Dapo Adeola, Maeve Rutten, and Lily Ash Sakula. Winners receive tentacle trophies and a total cash prize of £2,000, sponsored by Blackwell’s.
Awards were presented in a ceremony April 15, 2019 at The Star of Kings, London. For more, see the Kitschies website.