Miravete Wins 2018 Tiptree Award
Gabriela Damián Miravete’s short story “They Will Dream in the Garden” (Latin American Literature Today 5/18) won the 2018 James Tiptree, Jr. Award, given annually to works of science fiction or fantasy that explore and expand gender roles. Miravete will receive $1,000, original artwork, and chocolate. She will be honored at a ceremony during WisCon 43, to be held at the Concourse Hotel and Governor’s Club, May 24-27, 2019 in Madison WI.
The Tiptree jury released an “honor list” recognizing other noteworthy works:
- Capricious Magazine: The Gender Diverse Pronouns Issue, A.C. Buchanan, ed. (1/18)
- Sodom Road Exit, Amber Dawn (Arsenal Pulp)
- Chercher La Femme, L. Timmel Duchamp (Aqueduct)
- “Big Girl”, Meg Elison (F&SF 11/12-17)
- Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology, Joamette Gil, ed. (P&M)
- GlitterShip Year Two, Keffy R.M. Kehrli, ed. (self-published)
- The Tiger Flu, Larissa Lai (Arsenal Pulp)
- Dirty Computer, Janelle Monáe (Bad Boy)
- “Sandals Full of Rainwater”, A.E. Prevost (Capricious 1/18)
- Maresi: The Red Abbey Chronicles, Maria Turtschaninoff, translated by A.A. Prime (Amulet)
- “Me, Waiting for Me, Hoping for Something More”, Dee Warrick (Shimmer 1/18)
- Adrian Demopulos, for her translation of “They Will Dream in the Garden”
The jurors also released a “long list of twenty-eight other works they found worthy of attention.” The 2018 judges were Marina Berlin, Ritch Calvin, Arrate Hidalgo, and Margaret McBride (chair).
For more information, see the Tiptree website.