The Horror Writers Association (HWA) has announced their first annual Summer Scares Reading list.
- My Soul to Keep, Tananarive Due (Harper Voyager)
- Mongrels, Stephen Graham Jones (Morrow)
- Earthworm Gods, Brian Keene (Deadite)
- Rotters, Daniel Kraus (Delacorte)
- The Devil and Winnie Flynn, Micol Ostow & David Ostow (Soho)
- Slasher Girls and Monster Boys, April Genevieve Tucholke, ed. (Dial)
- Doll Bones, Holly Black (Doubleday)
- The Jumbies, Tracey Baptiste (Algonquin Young Readers)
- Through the Woods, Emily Carroll (McElderry)
The program is run in partnership with United for Libraries, Book Riot, and Library Journal/School Library Journal. “The goal of the program is to encourage a national conversation about the entire horror genre, across all age levels, at libraries all over the country and ultimately get more adults, teens, and children interested in reading.” Titles are selected by “a special guest author and a committee of four librarians.” The 2019 committee was Grady Hendrix, Carolyn Ciesla, Kelly Jensen, Kiera Parrott, and Becky Spratford, with JG Faherty as program coordinator. Podcast Ladies of the Fright will record episodes in conjunction with Summer Scares.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.