The African Speculative Fiction Society (ASFS) has announced the winners for the 2018 Nommo Awards. All titles “are speculative fiction, were published in calendar year 2017, and are thought to be by Africans as defined by the ASFS and Nommo Awards Guidelines.”
- WINNER: Beasts Made of Night, Tochi Onyebuchi (Razorbill)
- Our Memory Like Dust, Gavin Chait (TW Adult)
- The Real, Masha du Toit (self-published)
- Fever, Deon Meyer (Atlantic Monthly Press)
- Akata Warrior, Nnedi Okorafor (Viking)
- After the Flare, Deji Olokotun (Unnamed)
- WINNER: The Murders of Molly Southbourne, Tade Thompson (Tor.com Publishing)
Best Short Story
- WINNER: “The Regression Test”, Wole Talabi (The Manchester Review 7/17)
- “On the Other Side of the Sea”, Nerine Dorman (Omenana 9/17/17)
- “A Door Ajar”, Sibongile Fisher (Short Story Day Africa 3/3/17)
- “Read Before Use”, Chinelo Onwualu (Uncanny 5-6/17)
- “Snake Story”, Henrietta Rose-Innes (Johannesburg Review of Books 12/6/17)
Best Graphic Novel
- WINNER: Lake of Tears, Kwabena Ofei & Setor Fiadzigbey (BZL)
- Guardian Prime Genesis, Wale Awelenje & Jide Martin (Comic Republic)
- Ireti Bidemi, Michael Balogun & Adeleye Yusuf (Comic Republic)
- Eru, Tobe “Max” Ezeogu & Ozo Ezeogu (Comic Republic)
- Hero Kekere, Tobe “Max” Ezeogu & Kelechi Isaac (Comic Republic)
- Quest & the Sign of the Shining Beast, Robert S Malan & John Cockshaw (Luna)
Winners were announced at the Aké Arts and Book Festival, held October 25-28, 2018 at the Radisson Blu Hotel Ikeja, in Lagos State, Nigeria. A prize of $3,000 will be shared among the winners of four categories: best novel ($1,000), best novella ($500), best short story ($500), and best graphic novel ($1,000).
For more information, see the ASFS site.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.