First Novel Prize Long List
The Center for Fiction has released the long list for its 2017 First Novel Prize, “awarded to the best debut novel published between January 1 and December 31 of the award year.” Nominees of genre interest include:
- Spaceman of Bohemia, Jaroslav Kalfar (Little, Brown)
- The Lucky Ones, Julianne Pachico (Spiegel & Grau)
- Lincoln in the Bardo, George Saunders (Random House)
- Empire of Glass, Kaitlin Solimine (Ig)
- Temporary People, Deepak Unnikrishnan (Restless)
The long list is selected from publisher submissions by a jury of writers. This year’s jury panel consists of Sonya Chung, Kia Corthron, Anne Landsman, Fiona Maazel, and Rick Moody, who will also choose the short list and winner. The short list will be announced in September 2017 and the winner will be announced during the Center’s Annual Benefit & Awards Dinner, December 5, 2017 at the Metropolitan Club in New York City. The winning author receives $10,000. Each shortlisted author receives $1,000.
For more information, including a complete list of nominees, see the Center for Fiction’s website.