The Science Fiction Poetry Association has announced the 2016 Dwarf Stars and Elgin Awards winners.
The Dwarf Stars Award is given by the SFPA to recognize the best speculative poem of one to ten lines, published in the previous year. Winners will have their work reprinted in the 2016 Dwarf Stars Anthology.
- First Place: “We Begin This Way”, Stacey Balkun (Gingerbread House 16)
- Second Place (tie): “at the barre”, Julie Bloss Kelsey (Rattle 51)
- Second Place(tie): “The Doorman”, F.J. Bergmann (Grievous Angel 5-15)
- Second Place (tie): “Weathering”, Sandi Leibowitz (Silver Blade 25)
- Third Place: “Alice was chasing white rabbits out of a black hole”, John C. Mannone (Abbreviate Journal 7/8-15)
The Elgin Award is presented for the best poetry chapbook and the best full-length poetry book in the speculative genre. The Elgin Awards are named after the founder of SFPA, Suzette Haden Elgin.
- First Place: Undoing Winter, Shannon Connor Winward (Finishing Line)
- Second Place: Stairs Appear in a Hole Outside of Town, John Philip Johnson (Graphic Poetry)
- Third Place: A Guide for the Practical Abductee, E. Kristin Anderson (Red Bird)
BEST FULL-LENGTH COLLECTION
- First Place: Crowned: The Sign Of The Dragon Book 1, Mary Soon Lee (Dark Renaissance)
- Second Place: The Robot Scientist’s Daughter, Jeannine Hall Gailey (Mayapple)
- Third Place: Dark Energies, Ann K. Schwader (P’rea)
For more information, see the SFPA website.