N.A. Sulway’s novel Rupetta (Tartarus) is the winner of the 2013 James Tiptree, Jr. Award, given annually to works of science fiction or fantasy that explore and expand gender roles. Sulway will receive $1,000 in prize money, original artwork created to honor the winning works, and chocolate. She will be honored at a ceremony during WisCon 38, May 23-26, 2014 in Madison WI.
The Tiptree jury released an “honor list” recognizing other noteworthy works:
- Big Mama Stories, Eleanor Arnason (Aqueduct)
- “Heaven Under Earth”, Aliette de Bodard (Electric Velocipede #24 Summer ’12)
- Hild, Nicola Griffith (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
- The Summer Prince, Alaya Dawn Johnson Levine)
- Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie (Orbit)
- September Girls, Bennett Madison (HarperTeen)
- All Our Pretty Songs, Sarah McCarry (St. Martin’s)
- Electric Lady, Janelle Monae (Bad Boy Records)
- The Golem and the Jinni, Helene Wecker (Harper)
- Sea Change, S. M. Wheeler (Tor)
Jurors were Ellen Klages (chair), Christopher Barzak, Jayna Brown, Nene Ormes, and Gretchen Treu.
For more information, see the Tiptree website.