Winners of the 2013 Seiun Awards, the Japanese equivalent to the Hugo Awards, were announced July 20, 2013 at Varicon 2013, the 52nd Japanese national SF convention in Japan.
- Best Japanese Novel: The Empire of Corpses, Project Itoh & Enjoe Toh (Kawade Shobo Shinsha)
- Best Japanese Short Story: “Ima Shuugouteki Muishikio”, Chohei Kanbayashi (Hayakawa)
- Best Translated Novel: The Android’s Dream, John Scalzi, translated by Masayuki Uchida (Hayakawa)
- Best Translated Short Story: “Pocketful of Dharma”, Paolo Bacigalupi, translated by Hiroshi Kaneko (Hayakawa)
- Best Dramatic Presentation: Bodacious Space Pirates (Tatsuo Sato/ Satelight Inc.) Original Work: Yuichi Sasamoto / Asahi Shimbun Publications Inc.
- Best Comic: Inherit the Stars, Yukinobu Hoshino (Tokyo, Shogakukan Inc.; adaptation of works by James Patrick Hogan)
- Best Artist: Kenji Tsuruta
- Best Non-Fiction: “The Present and Future of CGM: The World Opened Up”, Hatsune Miku, Nico Nico Douga, & Piapro (IPSJ Magazine 5/12)
There were also a “Free Section” award given, to iPS cells (CiRA Center for iPS Cell Research and Application, Kyoto University).