The winners of the Sunburst Awards for Canadian Literature of the Fantastic were announced:
- Indigo Springs, A.M. Dellamonica (Tor)
- The Mystery of Grace, Charles de Lint (Tor)
- Makers, Cory Doctorow (Tor)
- The Sunless Countries, Karl Schroeder (Tor)
- Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America, Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
- Half World, Hiromi Goto (Puffin Canada)
- Give Up the Ghost, Megan Crewe (Henry Holt)
- Amy By Any Other Name, Maureen Garvie (Key Porter)
- Wondrous Strange, Lesley Livingston (HarperTeen)
- The Hunchback Assignment, Arthur Slade (Lamb)
The Sunburst Award for Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is a prized and juried award presented annually. It is based on excellence of writing and awarded to a Canadian writer who has published a speculative fiction novel or book-length collection any time during the previous calendar year. Named after the novel by Phyllis Gotlieb (1926-2009), one of the first published authors of contemporary Canadian speculative fiction, the award consists of a cash prize of $1,000 and a hand-crafted medallion which incorporates a “Sunburst” logo, designed by Marcel Gagné.
2010 jurors were Don Bassingthwaite, Gemma Files, Susie Moloney, Ursula Pflug, and Ed Willett. The 2011 Award jurors will be Julie Czerneda, Kate Freiman, Mark Leslie, Christopher Roden, and Alison Sinclair. For more information about previous awards, eligibility, and the selection process, please visit the website at <www.sunburstaward.org>.