The Washington Science Fiction Association announced the finalists for the 2009 WSFA Small Press Award for Short Fiction. The award was created to showcase small-press publishers by recognizing the “best original short fiction” published by small presses in the previous year. The winner will be presented at Capclave, held October 16-18, 2009 in Rockville, Maryland.
- “The Absence of Stars: Part 1”, Greg Siewert (Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show Dec 08)
- “Drinking Problem”, K.D. Wentworth (Seeds of Change)
- “Hard Rain at the Fortean Café”, Lavie Tidhar (Aeon Speculative Fiction Magazine #14)
- “His Last Arrow”, Christopher Sequeira (Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes)
- “Silent as Dust”, James Maxey (Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show Jan 08)
- “Spider the Artist”, Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu (Seeds of Change)
- “The Toy Car”, Luisa Maria Garcia Velasco (Aberrant Dreams Apr 08)