Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan (Scribner) won the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence.
Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly (Greenwillow) won the John Newbery Medal “for the most outstanding contribution to children’s literature.”
Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor (Little, Brown) was named a Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book for “excellence in literature written for young adults.”
Several books of genre interest won Alex Awards, given to “the 10 best adult books that appeal to teen audiences”:
- Electric Arches, Eve L. Ewing (Haymarket)
- An Unkindness of Magicians, Kat Howard (Saga)
- Down Among the Sticks and Bones, Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
- All Systems Red, Martha Wells (Tor.com Publishing)
- The Clockwork Dynasty, Daniel H. Wilson (Doubleday)
The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman (Listening Library), A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig (Listening Library), and The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell (Hachette) were named as Odyssey Honor Audiobooks.
For a full list of winners and honor books, see the ALA website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue.