The September issue is Locus Magazine's 500th issue, and marks the magazine's 35th anniversary. Printed in time for the World SF Convention in San José, ConJosé, the issue features a distinctive cover design, and a redesigned 2-page table of contents. Inside:
- An interview with Neil Gaiman and Gene Wolfe
- An interview with Locus founder/publisher Charles N. Brown
- Obituary and tributes of Ron Walotsky, with appreciations by Bob Eggleton, Jane & Howard Frank, and Joe Haldeman
- Tributes to Locus's 500th issue, by Gary K. Wolfe, John Clute, Neil Gaiman, David G. Hartwell, Gardner Dozois, Connie Willis, Frederik Pohl, Robert Silverberg, and others
- News stories about David Gemmell's Prix Tour Eiffel Award, the 2001 World Fantasy Awards Nominations, Harper Children's Launch of an Eos YA Line, the Bertelsmann Shake-Up, and AOL-Time/Warner under Federal scrutiny
- The magazine's popular "People & Publishing" and "Data File" sections, with items about Bob Eggleton, Esther M. Friesner, Peter Hamilton, Sheri S. Tepper, Anne McCaffrey, Houghton Mifflin, graphic novels, Shadowmarch, and much more.
- Forthcoming Books lists from US and UK publishers, through June 2003
- Obituaries of Donald L. Franson, Franco Lucentini, and William L. Pierce
- Comprehensive listings of books and magazines published in July, and British books published in June.
- Bestsellers from specialty bookstores in June, and Locus's selected New and Notable Books.
- Reviews cover new books by Jonathan Carroll, Michael Chabon, Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaiman, Stephen Baxter, Gwyneth Jones, Alastair Reynolds, Kelley Eskridge, Terry Pratchett, David Weber, Charles Stross, and others
- Short fiction reviews by Nick Gevers and Rich Horton survey new stories from recent issues of F&SF, Sci Fiction, Black Gate, Asimov's, Interzone, Realms of Fantasy, and other sources.
Click for larger image
Cover Design: Arnie Fenner