Tuesday 12 September 2000
Several awards, in addition to the Hugos, were presented at Chicon 2000 over Labor Day weekend.
The fifth annual Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were presented on September 2, 2000:
- Long Form
- Resurrection Day, Brendan DuBois (Putnam)
- Short Form
- ''The Eight Register'', Alain Bergeron (Northern Suns, ed. David G. Hartwell & Glenn Grant; Tor)
An award was also given to Howard Scott, translator of Bergeron's story, which had its first English-language publication in TesseractsQ, ed. Élisabeth Vonarburg and Jane Brierley (Tesseract 1996), and its original French publication as "Le huitième registre", in Solaris #107 (Autumn 1993).
- Special Achievement Award
- Randall Garrett, for the Lord Darcy series
Winners of the Prometheus Awards for libertarian SF:
- Prometheus Award
- A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge (Tor)
- Prometheus Hall of Fame Award
- ''The Emperor's New Clothes'', Hans Christian Andersen
The Golden Duck Awards, given to children's SF, were presented by Hal Clement:
- Picture Book Award
- Hush, Little Alien, Daniel Kirk, illustrator (Hyperion)
- Middle Grades Award
- I Was a 6th Grade Alien, Bruce Coville (Simon & Schuster)
- Hal Clement Award
- The Game of Worlds: Out of Time, Roger MacBride Allen (Avon; series editor David Brin)
- Honorary Award
- J.K. Rowling, for the Harry Potter series as a gateway to good reading for children and adults
The Webs of Wonder contest, for educational websites that use SF to help educators teach difficult subjects, was won by James Van Pelt and Andrew E. Love, who shared the $1000 prize. The award is sponsored by Analog magazine and David Brin. Van Pelt's winning website is The High School Teacher's Time Machine Page, Love's is Andy's "Using Science Fiction for Education" Page.
And winners of the Chesley Awards for SF and fantasy art, given by the Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists (ASFA), are as follows and can be viewed on this page.
- Service to ASFA
- Wizards of the Coast
- Best Unpublished Monochrome
- Rick Berry for "Artemis"
- Best Unpublished Color
- Steve Hickman for "At the Entmoot"
- Best Three Dimensional
- Johnna Klukas for "The Astrologer's Anteroom" (a set of furniture)
- Best Art Director
- Ron Spears for Wizards of the Coast
- Best Magazine Cover
- Bob Eggleton for The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, August 1999
- Best Game-Related
- Brom for the insert poster for the Duelist, "Warriors of Heaven/Guide to Hell"
- Best Product Illustration
- Richard Bober for "Cleopatra", plate art for the
- Best Interior Illustration
- James Gurney for Dinotopia: First Flight by James Gurney (HarperCollins, October '99)
- Best Cover Illustration Paperback
- John Jude Palencar for The Terrorists
of Irustan by Louise Marley (Ace, June '99)
- Best Cover Illustration Hardback Book
- Michael Whelan for The Mountain of
Black Glass by Tad Williams (DAW Books, Sept.99)
- Artistic Achievement
- Steve Hickman
For comprehensive news, subscribe to Locus Magazine!